The Sol Mahoney Law Firm
Under the best of circumstances and in the most amicable of situations, divorce takes its toll on children. Custody can one of the hot buttons in any divorce proceeding. Hopefully both parties are able to move forward sharing the responsibility of raising and nurturing their children together as co-parents with only the best interests of the children in mind. Sometimes this is easy, and sometimes there are circumstances that make it a challenge. Almost all courts use a standard that gives the "best interests of the child" the highest priority when deciding custody issues. In reaching a custody decision in Connecticut, the court will consider the following factors:· The needs of the child
· Each parent's ability to understand the needs of the child
· The child's preference and information obtained from the child
· Each parent's preference
· The child's past and current relationship with each parent
· Each parent's willingness to encourage a relationship between the child and the other parent
· The child's cultural background
· A history of abuse
· A history of domestic violence
· Whether either parent participated in a parenting education program
· The mental and physical health of all involved parties
It is important for you to understand your rights as a parent and to outline your desires moving forward. Sol provides a safe and knowledgable forum for you to plan what is in the best interest for your children in your family.
The Sol Mahoney Law Firm is here to help, simply contact us via the method below of your choosing and we will be happy to assist you.